020-8102-9898

Top 5 Causes of Electrical Fires At Home

Posted on by Daniel, VHL

Electrical fires can start at any time, without warning. It can often be difficult to determine where exactly the fire started, and whether or not anything could have been done to prevent it happening, which is why this article will look into the most common causes for electrical fires.

Faulty Appliances

Frayed WireAs appliances age, the electrical connections and outlets can lose some of their stability, which can lead to a fire. If you have any particularly old appliances in your home, it is important that you check for any frayed cables or faulty switches before using them. Alternatively, you can arrange for an electrician to check your appliances to see if they are safe to use.

Lighting

It may sound obvious, but light fixtures can get incredibly hot when they are left on for an extended period of time. Many people often ignore the wattage guidelines on the light fixtures and use bulbs that exceed said guidelines, which can result in overheating which in turn can result in the outbreak of fires.

Overloading Sockets & Extension Cords

Overloaded plug socketsExtension cords can be incredibly useful items; eliminating the need for you to stretch cables to wall sockets and allowing you to power multiple appliances in the same area of a room. However, it is very common to see extension cables get overloaded with plugs; plugging extension cables into extension cables can quickly cause the sockets to overheat. By only using the appropriate amount of plugs for your extension cables, you can greatly reduce the risk of electrical fires in your home or workplace.

Poor Connections

Sockets and cables can become loose over time; although they still function normally, their stability is considerably weakened as the cables are stretched. These poor connections cause the resistance to increase, which in turn means that the voltage rises in order to keep the power flowing. If sockets with poor connections are used often, they can easily overheat and catch fire.

Older Wiring

Old WiringThis issue is more prominent in older households that have had the same wiring set up for several years. With the introduction of new technology such as DVD players, more powerful televisions and games consoles, more electricity is required to power them. The problem arises when the older wiring is not set up to accommodate the increase in power, which can quickly cause an overload.

 

 

Electrical fires may start quite easily, but they are also easily preventable. By taking care to avoid the issues mentioned above, you can reduce the risk of electrical fires breaking out in your home or office.

If you are unsure about the safety of your electricity and wiring, then don’t hesitate to seek professional assistance. Our local electricians are available 24/7 to carry out emergency repair work in addition to safety checks and electrical upgrades to ensure everything is as safe as possible.

For more information, email or call us on 020-8102-9898 today and we’ll be happy to help.




About Daniel, VHL

VHL's Technician of the Year +Daniel Chambers View all posts by Daniel, VHL →